Crosswalking is a concise book for library programmers who want to learn to use MARC4J to process bibliographic data. MARC4J is an open source software library for working with MARC, MARCXML and related bibliographic standards in Java. The library is designed to bridge the gap between MARC and XML.
It is divided into the following chapters:
- Chapter 1, Reading Data
- Chapter 1 provides a short introduction about MARC formats and then focuses on reading MARC and MARCXML data. This chapter also explains how to create and update records and it demonstrates how to pre-process the input to convert MODS to MARC.
- Chapter 2, Writing Data
- Chapter 2 concentrates on the details of writing MARC and MARCXML data and how to post-process the output to convert MARC to MODS.
- Chapter 3, MARC4J and JAXP
- Chapter 3 explores integration with some important Java XML API's including JAXP, SAX and DOM. It demonstrates how to write the result to a DOM document, how to format XML output using a dedicated XML serializer, how to build pipelines using XSLT and how to use the SAX interface as an alternative to XSLT.
- Chapter 4, Indexing with Lucene
- Chapter 4 concentrates on indexing and searching MARC data with Apache Lucene using the MARC4J Lucene API.
- Chapter 5, Putting It All Together
- Chapter 5 focuses on building an SRU Search/Retrieve Web application using the various MARC4J interfaces and classes to process MARC data and using Lucene for indexing and searching.
- Appendix A, MARC4J API Summary
- Appendix A provides a summary of the core MARC4J interfaces and classes.
- Appendix B, Command-line Reference
- Appendix B documents the command-line programs included in the MARC4J API.
This book provides useful information for both developers learning about MARC4J for the first time and developers returning for reference and more advanced material. The chapters provide many reusable examples, while appendixes provide a reference to the API and the command-line utilities.
Crosswalking is published through lulu.com.
Visit lulu.com for more information.