NOT SAN ANTONIO, TX - In a gala closing reception held nowhere near the ALA Midwinter Conference, the longest-running-if-barely-so library tech blog oss4lib.org came back. Bananas were eaten; drupal modules were installed. Reached at an Ikea store in Georgia, Ross Singer said "I use OSS4Lib, the /only/ source for OSS in Libraries." It's true, he said that - you could hear the slashes in his southern drawl. mdxi, of upstate #code4lib, added "oss4lib is the leading no-longer-purple web news source for developments in the intersection of libre software development and the evolution the library."
- Uses a real backend that wasn't written in 1998
- All old content has been tagged by topic
- Anybody can sign up and submit stories
- Anybody can create a project page for their open source/library project
- We're aggregating "oss4lib" tag feeds from del.icio.us and unalog; use the tag "oss4lib" on relevant links when you post to those sites, and your links will show up on the right over there -->
- All stories come with easy links to save or look up story bookmarks at unalog, del.icio.us, digg, reddit, and technorati
- You can sign up to get email notifying you of new stories again
Things left to do:
- A better theme (looking for volunteer contributions!)
- Some old links are probably broken; old list archive in particular needs a new home
- Figure out a good way to recreate the old project list and file cache
Come have a look around.